Blogging like it's 1999
So I knew I wanted to use my iPad for this learning experiment, which means that I need the technical stack that works on a mobile device. Mind you; I have a 2018 iPad Pro with a very lovely foldable keyboard.
I signed up for a CodeSandbox account some weeks/months before. I have been happy with up until now. But I soon encountered some issues on the iPad. Including, but not limited to:
- Copy/paste functionality is missing, not broken but entirely missing. There probably are some workarounds, but I need to have it working on the keyboard.
- Git branching does not work on CodeSandbox. If I make changes and add those changes, I can either push directly to my main branch or create a PR and be stuck on that branch forever on that sandbox.
These are the two main reasons I decided to search for other solutions. After some digging, I discovered GitPod.io. I tried it, and it seems to work; at least, I did not have the same two issues as above.
So my Technical stack is settled.
- Blog framework: Eleventy - 11ty
- A straightforward static site generator.
- I opted to create my folder structure for the blog posts, using years and months to separate posts.
- Code editor: gitpod.io
- One caveat; make sure to give it the proper permissions.
- Code hosting: Github
- I might change this later on to have a comparison, but I like how Github works.
- Deployment and hosting: Netlify
- Seamless integration and setup; works out of the box.
So after posting this blog, I can say that this has been my first learning experiment. And I am happy with the results.